Thursday 4 October 2012

Beer Braised Lamb Shanks

With weather as grim as it is I have started looking for winter warming dishes. Lamb shanks are a particular favourite as I love the way they melt in your mouth. I usually do a red wine and chorizo or a mint gray version, but wanted something a bit different this week. I found a recipe for ale braised lamb shanks on the Delicious website (a great source of seasonal recipes)

I adapted it for 2 people. It was really easy to make and the most fabulous smell was coming from the oven and we couldn't wait to tuck in! We certainly weren't disappointed.


Beer-braised lamb shanks recipe – Delicious Website

By Lizzie Kamenetzky

 
Serves 6
Takes 15 minutes to make, 3 hours to cook


Ingredients
3 tbsp olive oil
6 lamb shanks
1 large onion, finely sliced
1 celery stick, finely chopped
1 carrot, finely diced
2 garlic cloves, finely sliced
500ml bottle pale or golden ale
300ml lamb or chicken stock, hot
2 bay leaves
5 fresh thyme sprigs, leaves stripped
Knob of unsalted butter
Handful flatleaf parsley, chopped

Method

  1. Heat half the oil in a large, heavy-based casserole (with a tight-fitting lid) over a medium heat. Add the lamb shanks and cook to brown all over for a few minutes. Remove from the pan and set aside.
  2. Heat the remaining oil in the pot and fry the onion, celery, carrot and garlic over a gentle heat for 10 minutes until really soft and beginning to colour. Return the lamb shanks to the pot and pour in the ale and stock. Season well, add the herbs, bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer, cover with the lid and cook over a low heat for 2½ hours, turning halfway through, until the lamb shanks are meltingly tender.
  3. Remove the lamb to a warmed serving dish and keep warm under foil. Discard the bay leaves. Bring the sauce to the boil and reduce it by half until it’s nice and glossy. (I needed to add a bit of cornflour, but I like my sauces thick)
  4. Whisk in the butter and return the lamb to the casserole to warm through, if necessary. Sprinkle with the parsley and serve with creamy mash.

Unfortunately I forgot to take a picture. But I wanted to share the recipe anyway and when I make it again I'll upload a photo!

No comments:

Post a Comment