Friday 21 September 2012

Bacon, Onion and Tomato Suet Roll

Now this particular dish is a bit of a “I’ve no food in the cupboard what do I eat” dish. Bear with me, it's not a showstopper, but it is actually really nice! It was something I remember my mum making when we were kids just before she was due to go food shopping. So I guess even then it was a store cupboard staples dish. I’ve adapted it slightly to my tastes. I go old school and serve with baked beans and mash potato. Seriously try it before you judge it!


 
Bacon, Onion and Tomato Suet Roll



Serves 4


Ingredients:
200g Tin Chopped Tomatoes
1 Small Onion – chopped
Packet of Bacon (Streaky, Back, Smoked, Unsmoked – whatever you prefer) – chopped
1tsp Mixed Herbs
A dash of oil
Salt and Pepper
4oz Suet (I use Vegetable, but use the meat one if it’s what you have)
8oz Self Raising Flour – sifted
Enough water or milk to make pliable dough (4tbsp ish)



***I tend to steam the roll in a steamer for about 30 minutes. But I’ve included the oven way too.


  1. Set up steamer or preheat oven to 180/ Gas 4 – 5.
  2. Combine the suet and the flour. Add a pinch of salt. Gradually add milk or water to get a pliable, slightly sticky dough. Tip onto a floured surface and knead to combine completely. Wrap in cling film and set aside in the fridge while you make the filling.
  3. In a pan fry the onion and bacon till soft. Add herbs and season with salt and pepper. Sieve the tomatoes to get rid of excess juices and add to the pan with the onions and bacon. Heat gently.
  4. Roll out pastry to 0.5cm thickness – in a rectangle type shape. Spread the tomato mixture over the pastry leaving a 1cm border.
  5. Roll up the pastry like a Swiss roll. Seal the edges by brushing with milk or egg. Press to seal.
  6. Wrap roll loosely in baking parchment or tinfoil. Place in steamer for approx 30 - 45 minutes or in the oven a baking tray for about 45 minutes. You can check to see if it’s cooked by gently cutting through the pastry. It will be a soft rather than crumbly pastry, but shouldn’t be sticky if cooked.



No comments:

Post a Comment